Re: Bug in psql - Postgresql 7.3.1?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "John B(dot) Scalia" <jscalia(at)cityblueprinting(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in psql - Postgresql 7.3.1?
Date: 2003-10-03 19:45:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

John,

> UPDATE my_table SET field1='new_value' AND SET field2='different_value'
> WHERE my_table_id = 'key';

Well, your SQL is bad:

UPDATE my_table SET field1='new_value, field2='different_value'
WHERE my_table_id = 'key';

> in psql, it reports that it has successfully updated one record.
> However, the record does not appear to be updated when I subsequently
> issue a SELECT for that record. I'll buy the fact that I may be using
> illegal syntax - I'm not SQL expert, but the update says it worked when
> in fact it did not. Should this have worked or should it have reported
> an error?

It's an error if it actually occurred that way. Can you cut-and-paste your
actual PSQL session?

> For record, this is Postgresql 7.3.1 on Solaris 9. Problem originally
> seen during a php4 script, but has been duplicated on the psql command
> line.

BTW, there are known bugs in 7.3.1; you should upgrade to 7.3.4.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions