Re: Access - can't close Form

From: "Andrew L(dot) Gould" <algould(at)datawok(dot)com>
To: <postsql(at)rdg-rational(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Access - can't close Form
Date: 2003-09-29 16:16:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 29 September 2003 10:34 am, E. Zorn (RDG-rational) postsql wrote:
> Hi,
> i use Access as a frontend via ODBC to an Linux-based postgresql.
>
> I have a problem in a form where I use a lot of subforms. In some
> cases ( i couldn't detect when - but I really try to) the form and Access
> hangs.
>
> The only way to close the form is to close Access via "cross" (upper right
> corner).
> If I try then to view once again the form I get the following error
> message: "Sie konnen diese Aktion momentan nicht ausfuhren" means : "You
> counldn't do this now".
>
> Has anybody an idea - why this is hanging or where i can start to debug.
>
> -Elmar

Hmmm. Try the following:

1. Review the subforms.
a. Be careful about inadvertently doing wierd things with table
relationships in queries in subforms.
b. Make sure you've linked subforms to forms in a way that's compatible
with table relationships.
c. Be very careful about nesting subforms.

2. Table definitions and relationships.
a. Even though you may have created the relationships in PostgreSQL, it's
good to define them in MS Access as well.
b. Make sure all bit fields (including/especially boolean fields) are
defined with 'not null' and a default value in PostgreSQL. MS Access is
funny about this.
c. When you link to tables that do not have primary keys in MS Access, it
will ask you to define a primary key so that Access can identify unique rows.
If possible/appropriate, do so.

3. ODBC:
a. It is important to use the latest version of pgsqlodbc. Start here:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/genpage.php?downloads
b. Make sure you've selected the options for "Declare/Fetch" and "True is
-1".

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould