Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition

From: Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Javier Carlos <fjcarlos(at)correo(dot)insp(dot)mx>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 'eats' all mi data partition
Date: 2003-09-26 18:48:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> [tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
>
> Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com> writes:
> > We have a production database that happens to receive several
> > thousand row updates per minute. We VACUUM ANALYZE every four
> > hours with max_fsm_pages set to 2100000, and it's no use.
>
> Have you spent any time determining exactly where the problem is?
> I'm suspicious that it's an index-bloat issue.

I'm afraid so. The weird thing is, we once tried running
VACUUM FULL followed by REINDEX and although the process
took ages to complete, it didn't seem to help either. :(

I'll post whatever debug data I'm asked for, just don't make
me run VACUUM FULL or REINDEX again please. (A full redump
is 10-20 times faster. :O)

Thanks,
--
Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>