Re: Announcement: planned open source billing system demonstration now available

From: Richard Schilling <rschi(at)rsmba(dot)biz>
To: Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS <ruben(at)mrbrklyn(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Schilling <rschi(at)rsmba(dot)biz>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-announce-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, embperl(at)perl(dot)apache(dot)org, ossi(at)oss-institute(dot)org, openhealth-list(at)minoru-development(dot)com
Subject: Re: Announcement: planned open source billing system demonstration now available
Date: 2003-09-24 13:42:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

I'll be posting the license on our website soon. But, the license for our original work, prior to an Open Source release, is an open source license except that the end user cannot distribute the product beyond their immediate control (e.g. their company). And, the changes one client makes to the product becomes available to all the other clients. It's kind of like an open source license that applies just to our clients. The only restriction really is non-distribution.

If/when a software product gets released under and open source license we incorporate the changes that clients have made to customize the product prior to release. So, if we have 20 customers using the same product and they've had customizations done.

It's working out pretty well. We're using this model for the software we built for http://www.thenew-hometeam.com. So, yes, the mature version of the home listing search engine we built will eventually be released under a general open source license.

Richard Schilling