Re: OT: HEADS-UP: viral storm out there

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu>, Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user(at)jakarta(dot)apache(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, info-cyrus(at)lists(dot)andrew(dot)cmu(dot)edu, cyrus-sasl(at)lists(dot)andrew(dot)cmu(dot)edu, amavis-user(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: OT: HEADS-UP: viral storm out there
Date: 2003-09-20 03:15:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:44:24 -0400,
Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> wrote:

> In keeping with being off topic, how do people feel about Verisign
> wild-carding the .com and .net domain names so any miskeys
> (www.someunregistereddomain.com) resolve to sitefinder.verisign.com.

They have been a screw up from day 1 when some ex CIA guys used their
connections to get the contract and then proceded to charge premium
prices while doing a terrible job. I am not a big fan of the digital
certificate racket either.

I try to stay as far away from NS and ICANN as I can. I found that
the people running .to have much more user friendly policies, though
I pay a bit more. Their registry is first come first serve. They don't
publish your name, phone number or email address in their whois database.
They also don't like spammers.