Re: Can't access table to describe, drop, or select, but it

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Josh Eno <Josh(at)always24x7(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't access table to describe, drop, or select, but it
Date: 2003-09-19 15:32:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Josh Eno wrote:

> The reason I'd never noticed the table is because in doing a \d it
> doesn't show up in the table list. If I try to do a \d TABLE_NAME, I
> can use <tab> to autocomplete the name, but then it says the table
> doesn't exist. I can't select any of those 40,000 rows while I'm in the
> database, and I can't drop it, either. The only evidence of the table I
> can find while I'm actually in the database is by doing a select * from
> pg_tables, and it shows up as the following:

You need to say things like:
\d "ROOT_U_QUICK_LOOKUP"
or
select * from "ROOT_U_QUICK_LOOKUP"
(note the double quotes to prevent casefolding).

It's interesting that \d FOO
gives an error message referencing "FOO"
since it's actually looking for a table that's been
case-folded. I think the error message is incorrect.