Schemas, and visibility of tables in MS-Query.

From: Harry Broomhall <harry(dot)broomhall(at)uk(dot)easynet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Schemas, and visibility of tables in MS-Query.
Date: 2003-09-17 13:54:25
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-odbc

One of the extras I had hoped for with PgSQL 7.3 Schemas was a
somewhat cosmetic, but useful, change in the way that MS-Query sees
tables in a database.

What I *actualy* want to achieve is for the MS-Query browser only
to show some tables from the database it is connected to.

I've played with various variations on schemas, but whatever I do
the browser insists on showing <All> schemas, and hence all tables.

The reason I want to do this is down to support issues. The users
are mostly senior management and I keep on being asked "What are these
other tables and why can't I get data from them?"! It isn't easy
telling such exalted people "You can't get at them because I don't want
you to fiddle!". Much easier if they aren't visible. <grin>

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Details of database:
PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.5, compiled by GCC 2.95.3
ODBC driver is 'PostgreSQL' (i.e. not Legacy or Unicode etc) version
7.03.01.11.

I'd rather not depend on a particular ODBC driver if I can help it!

Regards,
Harry.