Re: software vs hw hard on linux

From: aturner(at)neteconomist(dot)com
To: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: software vs hw hard on linux
Date: 2003-09-12 14:49:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

My personal experience with RAID cards is that you have to spend money to get good performance. You need battery backed cache because RAID 5 only works well with write to cache turned on, and you need a good size cache too. If you don't have it, RAID 5 performance will suck big time. If you need speed, RAID 10 seems to be the only way to go, but of course that means you are gonna spend $$s on drives and chasis. I wish someone would start a website like storagereview.com for RAID cards because I have had _vastly_ differing experience with different cards. We currently have a compaq ML370 with a Compaq Smart Array 5300, and quite frankly it sucks (8MB/sec write). I get better performance numbers off my new Tyan Thunder s2469UGN board with a single U320 10k RPM drive (50MB/sec) than we get off our RAID 5 array including seeks/sec. Definately shop around, and hopefully some other folks can give some suggestions of a good RAID card, and a good config.

Alex Turner

P.S. If there is movement for a RAID review site, I would be willing to start one, I'm pretty dissapointed at the lack of resources out there for this.