Re: Upgrade Woes

From: aturner(at)neteconomist(dot)com
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade Woes
Date: 2003-09-11 19:10:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

In the performance case the machine was running RedHat AS 2.1. I have posted the database schema at (obtained from pg_dump -s):

http://serverbeach.plexq.com/~aturner/schema.sql

The time to run all the stats procedures dropped through the floor. refresh_hourly_iud, adl_hourly_iud, rebuild_daily_total etc. There is a python script that calls the proc once for each hour or day. When running the historical calc job for a 7 day period back, it would crawl on 7.3.3. We started benching the drive array and found other issues with the system in the mean time (like the drive array was giving us 10MB/sec write speed - the guy who set it up did not enable write to cache). Once it was reconfigured the DB performance did not improve much (bonnie++ was used to verify the RAID array speed).

Alex Turner