Re: Cannot createdb

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cannot createdb
Date: 2003-09-08 10:00:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/09/2003 11:59 Dr. Azmir wrote:
> Hi there I'm Dr. Azmir from Kuala Lumpur.
> I'm using RH 9.0 with postgresql intalled in it.
> My problem is I can't createuser and createdb with it.
> The error message "psql: FATAL: user "name" does not exist
> createdb: database creation failed"
>
> will pop up.
>
> Why?

You need to be user postgres to create at least one user. The way I do it
is, from root, su postgres, create a user with createuser which can also
create databases and other users. On my development machines, I use my
unix user name so its really easy to create databases and other users
without su'ing around. On production machines, I set up a dba user.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |