Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

From: Tommi Maekitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Date: 2003-09-04 06:42:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 3. September 2003 20:16 schrieb Bruce Momjian:

> As for the IPv6 issue --- how prevalent is this problem. What OS
> versions are affected? Has the user done something special to enable
> this?

I have a SuSE 8.2 out of the box. I have done nothing with IPv6. I don't even
know much about IPv6.

Users expect, that it works just after installation. But after following the
discussion I think, that it is not so much a problem. I have 127.0.0.1 in my
pg_hba.conf and when I set PGHOST to 127.0.0.1 it workes. If I set PGHOST to
localhost, it resolves to ::1, wich don't match my pg_hba.conf-entry. The
error message is somewhat clear and gives the user a good hint, where to look
for.

I don't like the idea of doing something special with loopback-interfaces.
Loopback-interfaces are to test the network and tries to handle everything
like normal networking.

Is it possible to ignore IPv6-entries in pg_hba.conf on non-IPv6-machines?
Then we could uncomment IPv6 localhost connections by default. Or uncomment
these entries just on IPv6-machines. But this needs modification of default
pg_hba.conf depending on OS.

Tommi
--
Dr. Eckhardt + Partner GmbH