Re: [BUGS] session variable

From: sad <sad(at)bankir(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] session variable
Date: 2003-09-02 13:13:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-sql

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 16:40, you wrote:

> No problem to use a temp table in a trigger (which is local to the
> session), I do so myself. Still, session variables would be nice, making
> coding a little bit more comfortable.

(it would be very good if you implement session variables in PostgreSQL.)

The first problem using temp table is:

CREATE TABLE locals (name text, value text);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_locals_access() RETURNS text AS '
DECLARE i text;
BEGIN
SELECT value INTO i FROM locals WHERE name=''n1''
RETURN i;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT test_locals_access() ;

column
-------------
<null>

CREATE TEMP TABLE locals (name text, value text);
INSERT INTO locals VALUES ('n1','xxx');

SELECT test_locals_access() ;

column
-------------
<null> <=== the Function seing global table

SELECT value FROM locals WHERE name='n1';

value
---------
xxx

the second problem may be resolved with your advise.
look:

i want to log operations on the data in some tables.
so i declared sufficient triggers which write to the log-table.

and now i want to mark each log-record with the "operator_id"
(e.g. to log who made an update)

what possible ways are there ?

if i use temp table to inform the triggers about "operator_id"
then i have problems in manual updates of these tables
(temp table in my session needed too)