Re: disabling triggers

From: weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: disabling triggers
Date: 2003-09-01 17:57:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:49:44AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

<big_snip>

I also need something like that for my replication stuff:

When data from another node comes it, it should be written
directly to the tables, without any (unwanted) triggers firering.

On the other hand, in "normal" mode, also some missing fields
should be filled on create or update.

Perhaps some more details:

All tables have this layout:
inode_id int4
attr char
mtime timestamp

On INSERT an missing (NULL) inode_id should be taken from sequence
_inode_seq, attr can be set to an default value (currently not important)
and an NULL mtime should be replaced by current_timestamp().

When UPDATE-ing, the mtime should also be set to current_timestamp()
if not given.

But in the "raw" mode (when data from neighbours come in), the mtime
field may _not_ be touched (since it would produce an loop!).

Currently this is done by the middleware, but I'd like to have it
directly in the RDBMS. How could this be solved ?

regards
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT services

phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
cellphone: +49 174 7066481
Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt. http://www.metux.de/uucp/