Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server

From: Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net>
To: Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels(at)cistron(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server
Date: 2003-08-31 05:38:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels(at)cistron(dot)nl):

> >| PANIC: The database cluster was initialized with LC_CTYPE
> >| 'nl_NL(at)euro(dot)UTF-8', which is not recognized by setlocale().
> >| It looks like you need to initdb.
> >Is there some way that I can get to my precious databases?
>
> You have the source. Find where it prints this, make it not panic
> but continue, recompile, run that server, run psql, drop the indexes,
> dump the database.

Hey mike ;)
I know I /have/ the source. But I find it rather strange that I have to
/hack/ the source to have it start.

I'm thankful for the postgresql people to protect me from damaging my
databases while i'm /not aware/ of the problem, but in this situation it
almost feels windows-like (no offence :P) since there is NO way to have
it start now, even if i really really really really really want it to.

I hope pgsql-devel people are reading, and willing to implement a system
like apt has when you want to remove something important like libc6:

| Please type the following line, without the quotation marks, to state
| that you really want this, and that you know what you're doing:
| "I know what i'm doing. Please let me damage my databases. I won't
| complain on mailinglists, and I have recent backups."
|
| Repeat>

btw, postgresql in Debian is built with doogies build system *shiver*

Sander.