Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Balazs Wellisch <balazs(at)neusolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests
Date: 2003-08-30 02:34:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Balazs Wellisch wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Very interesting results. I'd like to command you on your honesty.
> Having started out with the intentions of proving that FreeBSD is faster
> than Linux only to find that the opposite is true must not have been
> rewarding for you. However, these unexpected results serve only to
> reinforce the integrity of your tests.

Looking at the results, ext2 is out because it isn't crash safe, and I
have heard Reiser uses a lot more CPU to do its work. It does show
ext3 as slow, which was expected. Interesting how JFS came out, and XFS
would be interesting. And, of course, it is multiple backends that
really shows PostgreSQL off, so it could radically affect the results.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us