PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server

From: Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server
Date: 2003-08-29 09:58:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

After a very recent postgresql update, the postmaster failed to start
because of this:

| PANIC: The database cluster was initialized with LC_CTYPE
| 'nl_NL(at)euro(dot)UTF-8', which is not recognized by setlocale().
| It looks like you need to initdb.

Now I know nl_NL(at)euro(dot)UTF-8 is an incorrect locale, I fixed that some
time ago, but because postgresql kept on running, and the machine didn't
reboot in the mean time, I noticed nothing when the new libc's / locales
stopped 'supporting' that (faulty) locale.

To make a long story short: i can't activate that locale again,
therefore the postmaster won't start, and therefore I can't salvage my
databases to re-create them & finish the postgresql upgrade.

Now I found out the binary file data/global/pg_control matches the
faulty locale, so I tried to vi that in a desperate attempt to start the
server, but it failed and I had to restore the original.

Is there some way that I can get to my precious databases?
I fear that downgrading postgresql won't work, because the locale still
isn't available, so it probably won't start either.

Help? :)

I'm running Debian Unstable, libc6/locales 2.3.2, postgresql 7.3.4.

Thanks!
Sander.