Re: Database recovery after fs crash

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: J(dot)Henning(at)t-online(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database recovery after fs crash
Date: 2003-08-27 11:47:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:18:28PM +0200, J(dot)Henning(at)t-online(dot)de wrote:
> > Hmm, presumably you don't have those.
>
> Unfortunately not. All backup measures I took failed on the exact same
> occasion - worst case possible.

Ouch!

> > I usually start by browsing files by hand to see if I can determine
> > from any embedded text which table it was.
>
> Seems easy enough.

Can be tricky depending on the data.

> > Then if you create a new database and recreate the table *exactly* the
> > same and then copy the datafile over. You might need to create some
> > clog files but you *might* be able to recover some data.
>
> How do I do that? I don't know the format of the clog files. The only
> information I found was in clog.h and xlog.h.

xlog is fairly easy, I think resetxlog or something can work there. For clog
I just noted from the logs which clog files it was missing and created them
filled with either 0x00 or 0x55 (I forget if it make a difference) and kept
going until done.

Good luck.