Re: Disk Utilization Increases And Time for Vacuum Increases.

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk Utilization Increases And Time for Vacuum Increases.
Date: 2003-08-26 15:11:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:09:00PM -0700, Vikram D. Gaitonde wrote:
> One action we have consiously not done is "REINDEX" on the
> table. We want to avoid that as far as possible.

I'm afraid that's the problem, though. The code cannot recover freed
btree pages which can't be recycled for others to use. There is no
choice but to reindex certain indexes. You can use pgstattuple and
oid2name to get some idea of what is taking all the space, and
thereby be selective.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada