Re: set constraints docs page

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: set constraints docs page
Date: 2003-08-19 15:37:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > I object.
> >
> > Thanks for the helpful objection. To what do you object specifically and
> > why?
>
> I object to creating gratuitous incompatibilities with the SQL standard,
> which will obstruct legitimate features down the road. The SQL standard
> says it is <schema>.<constraint>.

We *already* have the incompatibility with the SQL standard because of the
fact we allow non-unique constraint names in the same schema;
<schema>.<constraint> does not uniquely identify a constraint in
PostgreSQL currently.

Tom objected to following the spec on this regard back when the issue was
brought up for adding checks on the constraint names on the grounds that
table based constraint names were more natural.