Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From: "Mark A(dot) Taff" <marktaff(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests
Date: 2003-08-09 06:25:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Friday 08 August 2003 12:01, you wrote:
> Hi Mark,

Hi Andreas,

> Mark A. Taff wrote:
> >Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are not
> >saved between uses
>
> Can't reproduce this, works for me. Is ~/.pgadmin3 write protected or
> sth like that?

I can repreduce. All can read it, I (`mark`) can write to it.

> >HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font
> > name/sizes
>
> Do we need that?

I think so, IMHO. Either that or allow alternate doc viewers. I paid for
this large monitor and video card so I could have more screen real estate,
and it kind of defeats the purpose to have such huge (relatively) font sizes
used.

> >Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and
> > fonts are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the
> > control is for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a control
> > at all.
>
> Shouldn't be, sounds like you use a version with wxWindows 2.4. There
> have been major fixes for correct font sizing in 2.5.
>
> >Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.
>
> By design.

Why? Smaller fonts work better for me, and allow me to make the most of my
screen real estate.

> >File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is
> > closed
>
> This is for the sql tool window only, to obtain monospaced display for
> Latin languages, and other for non-Latin. It's effective as soon as the
> options dialog is closed with OK.

Doesn't do that for me... :o I've checked again, and it doesn't apply until
after pgAdmin is closed and reopened.

> >Main toolbar icons are too large
>
> It's a matter of taste; IMHO you're right. Are there other votes about
> this? Who contributes other bitmaps?

I wouldn't mind, but my time is extremely limited right now. Debugging is
about the most time I can spare.

> >In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand column
> >width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?
>
> This is a problem, because the grid fills on-demand, so we don't know
> which size we will need until a row is actually displayed.

MS Access 2000 handles this by autofitting to the width of widest *currently
viewable* column data. Whether this is "The Right Way" or not is left as an
excercise for the reader.

> >In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
> >`Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a table.
> >Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items for all main
> >objects (aggregates through views).
>
> This is a misleading gtk behaviour I also noticed. For win32, a right
> click will also mark the underlying node, gtk doesn't. I'll change this.

Awesome! You rock.

> >Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x 1024
> > on a 19" monitor.
>
> I don't think so, we all prefer big desktops.
>
> >System Info:
> >AMD Athalon XP 2400
> >1 GB RAM
> >SuSE Linux 8.2
> >KDE 3.1.1
> >PG 7.3.2
> >
> >Installed from: pgadmin3-0.9-20030806.1386.rpm

FYI, also using wxGTK(Windows) 2.4

Regards,
Mark