Dealing with commas in fields

From: MT <mt(at)open2web(dot)com>
To: Pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dealing with commas in fields
Date: 2003-08-01 21:45:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm using Postgresql to store customer and product information. Since this is a French language database, some of the names include commas. Information entered into this database is via html forms and php scripts. When I search the database with a partial name that includes a comma, such as D'Abcd, the database takes longer to find the record I'm looking for than if I searched the database with a partial name that does not include a comma, such as Abcd. I' ve also noticed if I D'Abcd in a php variable, which is diplayed as the title in the html header, it shows up as D\\\'Abcd, if this variable is passed and displayed in the next page, it shows up as d\\\\\\\\'Abcd.

Is there a way to enter names with a comma into a field without it causing this strange behavior.

--
Regards,

M. Tessier