Re: Don't removes/recycles WAL files at all

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Michael Govorun <mike(at)shpion(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Don't removes/recycles WAL files at all
Date: 2003-07-30 19:41:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 20:05, Michael Govorun wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 18:54, Michael Govorun wrote:
> >> Please, help.
> >>
> >> versions: 7.3.3, 7.3.4
> >>
> >> Server don't recycles or removes WAL files at all, generating 12-20
> >> files every day.
> >>
> >> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Jul 29 01:54 0000000000000000
> >> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Jul 29 01:55 0000000000000001
> >
> > [...etc]
> >
> > First thing I'd look for is if there is an old uncommitted transaction
> > lurking around somewhere. If the transaction doesn't commit, the WAL will
> > need to keep that data around.
>
> I have several projects/databases running on this server. How can I
> know about who (or at least what db) gives me uncommited transactions?

Hmm - have a look at the "Monitoring Activity" section of the Administrators
manual - between "ps" and "pg_stat_xxx" tables hopefully you can spot it.

> Also it seems like vulnerability. Every uncommited transaction takes
> 16Mb of disk space. It frustrates.

I could be completely wrong mind you - I've CCd Tom Lane since he should be
able to say if I'm talking rubbish.

Tom - is this a TODO?

--
Richard Huxton