Re: WebGUI vote on whether to drop PostgreSQL support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WebGUI vote on whether to drop PostgreSQL support
Date: 2003-07-30 11:01:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 09:01, Kaarel wrote:
> We have chosen MySQL because it is used by the majority of the WebGUI
> users already, because it is easier to administer than Postgres, and
> because it works equally well on all platforms, unlike Postgres.

This is called a portfolio effect. Unless we release PostgreSQL, pgAdmin3,
PhpPgAdmin3 bundled under Win32 and Unixes, we will always face this kind of
problem.

User ask questions such as "is PostgreSQL faster than MySQL?", but in fact
their real need is a database system with a nice administration interface
(web or GUI), which works under any environment (Unixes and Win32).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel Pouré