Re: Regression test failure date.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression test failure date.
Date: 2003-07-27 00:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org> writes:
> > 2003-02-15 passes 50/50 and 33/33 on second pass (so far)
> > 2003-02-16 fails 6/50
>
> I looked in the CVS logs while waiting for a compile, and the only patch
> I see that goes anywhere near the locking or cache code around that time
> is this one:

> * src/: backend/storage/lmgr/deadlock.c,
> backend/storage/lmgr/lock.c, backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c,
> backend/utils/adt/lockfuncs.c, include/storage/lock.h,
> include/storage/proc.h: Rename 'holder' references to 'proclock'
> for PROCLOCK references, for consistency.
>
> which seems like a safe change (I assume it was just a
> search-and-replace; do you recall, Bruce?) and anyway the time is not
> quite right.

Yes, just a rename operation.

> What time of day did your successive pulls correspond to, anyway?
> (I believe my cvs2cl printout above is showing me EST.)

For the date range:

pgcvs log -d'2003-02-15 00:00:00 GMT<2003-02-18 00:00:00 GMT' -rHEAD

I see:

/src/include/optimizer/pathnode.h

tgl
Teach planner how to propagate pathkeys from sub-SELECTs in FROM up to
the outer query. (The implementation is a bit klugy, but it would take
nontrivial restructuring to make it nicer, which this is probably not
worth.) This avoids unnecessary sort steps in examples like
SELECT foo,count(*) FROM (SELECT ... ORDER BY foo,bar) sub GROUP BY foo
which means there is now a reasonable technique for controlling the
order of inputs to custom aggregates, even in the grouping case.

---
/src/test/regress/expected/case.out

tgl
COALESCE() and NULLIF() are now first-class expressions, not macros
that turn into CASE expressions. They evaluate their arguments at most
once. Patch by Kris Jurka, review and (very light) editorializing by
me.

---
/doc/TODO.detail/exists

momjian