Re: libpq_r

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq_r
Date: 2003-07-25 15:35:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
> 1. need to link in special libc_r (FreeBSD)
> 2. need to use magic flags for compiler and/or linker (FreeBSD, UnixWare)
> 3. need to compile with special preprocessor symbols (UnixWare, AIX)
> 4. need to use different compiler altogether (AIX)
>
> (If you read between the lines of the manufacturers' documentation, all
> these methods end up accomplishing similar things, they are only different
> interfaces for it.)
>
> If any of these cases apply, we need to provide a separate libpq_r, or
> else either threaded land or nonthreaded land will suffer pain, from what
> I read. (The simplest example is errno being defined in different ways
> and referring to different symbols.)
>
> If none of these cases apply, then a separate libpq_r will be redundant,
> perhaps "confusing" to some, but it can be ignored by the user.

I see no reason to symlink to libpq_r if it is identical to libpq.
Operating systems are moving away from _r libraries, and I see no reason
to create one just for consistency with platforms that still use _r.
Basically, I don't like the confusion.

I agree with the goal of having a libpq_r if it is different from libpq.

This is going to require us to compile libpq twice and install libpq and
libpq_r. Can that be done cleanly? I don't see how we can get this
done before beta. Will we fiddle with this during beta?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us