Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off
Date: 2003-07-25 12:28:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:34:26PM -0700, Terence Chang wrote:
> All:
>
> I don't remember I even seen a document saying PostgreSQL are case
> sensitive. I just figure out that my column name are case

The docs have it in a footnote:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/sql-syntax.html#FTN.AEN1031

PostgreSQL's approach is backwards from the standard.

> sensitive. Is there any way that I can turn it off or force the
> object name to all upper case?

Yes. Double-quote them. Alternatively, _never_ double-quote and
just refer to everything in all upper case. Postgres will
automatically fold them to lower case anyway, but you won't get them
displayed in all upper case.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada