Re: php with postgres

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Marcus Börger <marcus(dot)boerger(at)post(dot)rwth-aachen(dot)de>, ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php with postgres
Date: 2003-07-24 21:57:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Marcus B?rger wrote:
> > ATM i have a patch doing the following:
> > Connect:
> > If PQprotocolVersion() is available and >= 3 PQparameterStatus() is available
> > then i check the server version. Else i check the lib version (*).
> > If the version to check is >= 7.2 ido one of the following:
> > - If one of PQprotocolVersion() and PQtransactionStatus() is unavailable or
> > protocol version < 3:
> > "BEGIN;COMMIT;RESET ALL;"
> >
> > - If protocol version >= 3 and transaction status == PQTRANS_IDLE:
> > "RESET ALL;"
> > - If protocol version >= 3 and transaction status != PQTRANS_IDLE:
> > "COMMIT;RESET ALL;"
>
> Shouldn't that be
>
> ROLLBACK; RESET ALL;
>
> and the other one "BEGIN; ROLLBACK; RESET ALL;" ?
>
> I don't want to have the possibly partial transaction from a crashed PHP
> script to be committed by default. At least it would be a significant
> difference between persistent and non-persistent connections, because we
> rollback if we loose the connection.

Right, as I just emailed. I wonder if we made the mistake of
recommending BEGIN;COMMIT; to the PHP folks a while back, or whether they
just did it themselves.

I remember telling them they couldn't just do ROLLBACK because that
would fill the logs, but I am not sure how they got BEGIN;COMMIT;
rather than BEGIN;ROLLBACK. It just shows we need better communication
between the communities.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us