Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date: 2003-07-23 17:54:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 04:18:24PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> How could Oracle sue us for claiming to be as good or faster? MySQL does
> this all the time, and I don't see that it's landed them in any legal hot
> water.

Call me nervous.

I believe the rule that Oracle has is that you cannot publish
benchmarks of their system without their approval. Doing so violates
your license to use the software. So, either you cannot claim the
"faster" result on the grounds that you have no basis for the claim;
or, you're violating your license with Oracle. So, even if Oracle
has no interest in calling out their counsel, it's still a bad idea
to mention them explicitly, because it makes the claims in the
release either goundless or license-violating.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8