Re:

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2003-07-23 17:35:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I repeat what I have said earlier. If there are two libraries A using libecpg_r
> and B, using libecpg, then program linking against both of them is going to
> have tough time living with symbol conflicts.
>
> I suppose problem will be reproducible even under freeBSD if you try to create
> a postgresql function in C which uses threads. Link the library against libc_r
> and link postgresql against libc. It would run into problems.
>
> I am just stating my experiences.I might have missed solution to this problem.
>
> But overall I like GNU libc approach of everything thread safe by default. If
> thread performance is an issue, then it should be improved. Not worked around
> with two libraries.

I thought glibc was the one to introduce libc_r in the first place ---
are they making libc thread-safe now?

What OS's are still using libc_r for threaded-ness? I never liked that
approach myself, and I resist adding it to our setup unless it is
required.

One problem now is that we don't have a way to create a separate libpq_r
for operating systems that use libc_r. We just create libpq and it is
thread-safe.

As for the configure flag, we still need it because we don't know the
flags required by all our supported OS's.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us