Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date: 2003-07-22 19:41:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:42:09PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> A couple of people have asked about this so let me expand on this
> ambiguous note. There a couple of folks, led by Andrew Sullivan, who are
> looking at releasing the replication code first used by Afilias, Inc

I am leaning toward gborg at the moment. See my recent post on
-hackers.

Note that I Don't Own the Code, PostgreSQL Inc. does. So they're the
ones leading this and doing it. I just volunteered to help figure
out what has to change to release it (there's a lot of cruft in the
original source tree, it seems, and it all came from Toronto. Hmm,
sounds like a horror movie).

> as good as what you would get if you were to purchase the commercial
> version of ERServer (at least that's what I've been told), but it has

The new version really is a quantum leap forward, thanks largely to
some work that my colleague Frank Thompson recently did. Jan Wieck also
found a bug in part of the older code, and fixed it. I _think_ that
bug fix will make it into the released code, but I have to check.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8