Re: php with postgres

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Marcus Börger <marcus(dot)boerger(at)post(dot)rwth-aachen(dot)de>, ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php with postgres
Date: 2003-07-22 01:20:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >>
> >> Unfortunately we don't do so yet. Do i need to check for errors or can i do it
> >> unconditionally on conenction start? And i'd need to know how to check if it
> >> is available (like starting with which version).
> >
> > It first appeared in PostgreSQL version 7.2. It doesn't generate any
> > failures. It just resets all SET settting to their defaults, in case
> > the previous client modified them.
> >

> It does generate the usual error if the current transaction block is in
> ABORT state. So the correct querystring to send would be something like
>
> "ROLLBACK; RESET ALL"

Oh, I remember that now as part of the persistent connection code. As I
remember, we told them to do BEGIN;COMMIT; to clear any open transaction
state passed to the new client. Is that in there? If not, it has to be
added too. ROLLBACK will generate an error if you are not in a
transaction, so it would fill the logs with errors.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us