Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date: 2003-07-21 23:56:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> > Might be worth while mentioning something like the following to go
> > with the above point:
> >
> > Other additional planner improvements have brought PostgreSQL's
> > performance inline with the large RDBMS vendors.
>
> Hmm. Pretty general statement.

It is, but on several occasions Tom has mentioned that through red
hat, he's heard that 7.4 has query planner related performance
enhancements that make PostgreSQL competitive to Oracle. I tried to
convey that as best as possible w/o saying anything technical.
Basically I was trying to say, "re-evaluate PostgreSQL if you tried
it, but it wasn't quite fast enough and went with Oracle: we should be
as fast if not faster and we're certainly cheaper."

> > Mentioning the protocol change is also probably important here.
> >
> > New wire protocol (version 3) increases the speed of data transfers.
> >
> > I haven't benchmarked it, but from what I've read of the protocol
> > spec, it likely does. Tom might want to confirm this. More
> > efficient BYTEA transfers is a big deal for the medical community
> > that's storing MRIs in PostgreSQL.
>
> Might be a bit specific for a media release. Remember, we're also
> doing a detailed user-focussed announcement.

The BYTEA bit isn't supposed to show up in the release, only "the wire
protocol has changed and it should be much faster to transfer big
images/files in and out of the database. *smacks medical community up
side the head* Hey you guys, check us out and use PostgreSQL: we do
what you need pretty well and aren't dog slow at big files like other
RDBMSs servers."

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden