Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date: 2003-07-21 23:52:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

People:

First, let me apologize for the confusion I caused. I was out of the country
on July 15th, so I thought we'd gone beta on schedule ... and only had a week
to finish the press release.

But I'm glad we've got the ball rolling now.

> How about "Explicit JOINs no longer constrain query plan, unless
> JOIN_COLLAPSE_LIMIT = 1"? This is kind of a big deal for MS SQL
> users/organizations.. Targeting their audience would be good and
> increase our user uptake from their dept.

Hmmm ....

Optional explicit join rewriting by the query planner, allowing an
easy transition for MS SQL Server users.

> > Other improvements include:
> > - Performance improvements for data warehousing
>
> Does this mean the NUMERIC handling?

No, mostly Hash Aggregates for faster GROUP BY queries.
Perhaps we should clarify?

- Performance improvements in aggregates for faster data warehousing

> > - Enhanced implementation of functional indexes
> > - Addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types
> > - Significant enhancements to array data types
> > - Completely overhauled and simplified documentation

How "overhauled" is the documentation? If it's a lot, this would be a "major
feature".

> > - An auto-vacuum feature to help simplify database maintenance
>
> Update multi-byte regexp package is a big deal for intl users.
>
> If it gets mentioned, 24/7 installations are going to really push for
> upgrading to this release because of the index growth problem that was
> quenched in this version. Something like:
>
> Infinite index growth can now be prevented with frequent VACUUMs

I'd suggest:
Improved index maintainence for high availability databases.

One more re-write from me this week.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions