Re: Tuning PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Alexander Priem" <ap(at)cict(dot)nl>, "Roman Fail" <rfail(at)posportal(dot)com>, <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tuning PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-21 16:06:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Alexander,

> Hmmm. Seems to me that this setup would be better than one RAID5 with three
> 36Gb disks, wouldn't you think so? With one RAID5 array, I would still have
> the data and the WAL on one volume...

Definitely. As I've said, my experience with RAID5 is that with less than 5
disks, it performs around 40% of a single scsi disk for large read-write
operation on Postgres.

If you have only 3 disks, I'd advocate one disk for WAL and one RAID 1 array
for the database.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions