Re: PostgreSQL settings for 12GB RAM

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL settings for 12GB RAM
Date: 2003-07-08 05:02:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 04:01:12PM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> This increase in buffers isn't free, since it will now cost Postgresql the
> overhead of manageing said buffers, plus they're in unix shared memory,
> which isn't all that fast compared to kernel level cache.

Also, I learned through painful experience that it gets slower as it
has to manage large data sets. After some testing, we attempted a 2G
buffer size once, on the grounds that we had 12 G. At first, we saw
some happy results, but after a couple days, things got painfully
slow. I eventually concluded that once the buffer was full, managing
it was making the system crawl.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada