A portable code question

From: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql hackers list)
Subject: A portable code question
Date: 2003-06-26 18:20:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In the little fix I came up with for psql last night, I need to be able
to ensure that something sent to a pipe (and then to stdout) completes
before issuing the prompt directly to stdout.

I did this with: "system ('sleep 1');", but I'm fairly sure that is
not portable nor does it ENSURE completion.

What's the proper way to do this? And what's a good book on writing
portable code?
--
Mike Nolan