Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration

From: johnnnnnn <john(at)phaedrusdeinus(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Date: 2003-06-25 16:10:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:34:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Has anyone looked at the syntaxes used by other databases to control
> tablespaces (Oracle, DB2, etc)? I have no strong desire to
> slavishly follow Oracle, but it would be a shame to miss out on any
> good ideas.

DB2:

CREATE TABLESPACE spacename ...

ALTER TABLESPACE spacename ...

RENAME TABLESPACE spacename TO newspacename

CREATE TABLE name ... IN spacename [INDEX IN spacename] [LONG IN spacename]

"INDEX IN" and "LONG IN" refer to the tablespace used to store the
indices and the LOB values for that table, respectively.

The create syntax revolves around nodegroups and such which are DB2
concepts i don't fully grok (i'm a programmer, not a DBA).

But, yeah, those are really the only entrypoints. You can't create an
index in a specific tablespace -- it will go wherever the table is set
to put indices.

I like the syntax ("IN spacename"), though. It's simple and
straightforward.

-johnnnnnnnnnn