capturing and storing query statement with rules

From: Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: capturing and storing query statement with rules
Date: 2003-06-24 20:17:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I would like to create a audit log of update and
delete queries against a table. I want the log on the
server side, since access will be done using various
clients via ODBC. I would like to capture the user,
current datetime and the query statement. My thought
was to accomplish this by creating a rule that will
insert the information into a log table.

How can I captures the query statement so that I can
place it in a insert query? Is there a variable in
the server that holds the query statement as a string?

Am I about to go in over my head (again)?

Thanks,

Andrew