Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net, chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-20 01:21:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Maybe a better strategy would be to get a release out soon but not wait
> 6 months for another release which would contain the Win32 port and the
> PITR stuff (assuming those aren't done in time for this release).
>
> Just a thought.

And definitely in agreement here ... I'd rather see a shortened dev cycle
prompted by a big feature being added, then delaying a release because "oh
oh, I need another few weeks" that draws out when something unexpected
happens :(

> > andrew
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> >> Well, I suppose that history has shown that waiting on specific
> >> features causes trouble with postgresql development, but I don't see
> >> why a release can't be based around waiting for feature x as long as
> >> feature x is being actively worked on by trusted developers who have
> >> an endgame in sight.
> >
> > We have been led down that garden path before, and it's been a losing
> > proposition every time.

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org