Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-20 01:20:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> Well, I suppose that history has shown that waiting on specific features
> causes trouble with postgresql development, but I don't see why a
> release can't be based around waiting for feature x as long as feature x
> is being actively worked on by trusted developers who have an endgame in
> sight.

Everyone has an 'endgame in sight', at least when they ask for a release
to be postponed ... but then their date keeps slipping, etc ...

The thing is, if win32 is 'that close to being finished', then as soon as
v7.4 is out, that code should be ready to throw in ... and the same for
every other features that could 'postpone a release' ...

I'd rather see the dev cycle shortened by a month, then extended ...