Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not?
Date: 2003-06-19 15:53:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

For those of you who don'f follow the HACKERS list, I have some very
dissapointing news. It looks like none of the following features will make
it into 7.4:
Point In Time Recovery
Windows Port
Nested Transactions

By my reading, that leaves us without a single "sexy" feature in 7.4 that we
can sell to the press. Not to say that there aren't a lot of *great*
features in 7.4 -- I personally know of 4 projects that are waiting for 7.4
to convert to PostgreSQL -- but they are all features that are difficult, if
not impossible, to explain to anyone who isn't a DBA or programmer.

Further, we've made a point of saying "Windows in 7.4" and now it looks like
Windows will be coming somewhat later ... probably 7.5 in October.

As such, I propose that we *not* do any press splash for 7.4. Lets put it on
the web sites, but not make any other fuss about it. Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions