best method for mirroring ?

From: weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: best method for mirroring ?
Date: 2003-06-19 06:39:17
Lists: pgsql-general

hi folks,

i'm currently mirroring multiple databases w/ postgresql.
this requires some additional support in the application:

each table has an inode_id (as global object id) and an mtime field.
on each insert, an new inode_id is fetched from an sequence and on
each insert/update the mtime is updated.

after some time (i.e. one minute) all new rows are posted to all
other nodes. (the nodes are listed in an separate table w/ their
last-poll time, so evrything newer than the lastpoll is posted out).

this works quite good for my current applications, but I still have
some latency. (depends on the polling time - i dont want to query all
tables evry second ...)

is there an better way to solve this ?

cu
Enrico Weigelt == metux ITS
Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat. UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
cellphone: +49 174 7066481 smsgate: sms(dot)weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt. http://www.metux.de/uucp/