Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application Cluster"
Date: 2003-06-18 13:32:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18/06/2003 11:19 Hubert Fröhlich wrote:

> What we would like to have is some alternative concept which allows us
> to use PostgreSQL on a powerful hardware to get highly performant and
> higly available database access on our terabytes.
>
> a) Does PostgreSQL have some features using a clustered hardware?
> b) If no, what could be an alternative hardware concept ?
>

> Can anybody give me some advice or some hints to somebody who could help
> us a bit further, some web page ...

Have you considered a simple load balancing set-up? You don't mention how
you generate the web pages - hopefully not a scripting language if
performance matters! If, for instance, your application is written in
Java/JSPs then you could set up several servers running Tomcat and
PostgreSQL and load balance them from an Apache web server with mod_jk.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants |