Re: DocBook V4.2

From: Guillaume LELARGE <gleu(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DocBook V4.2
Date: 2003-06-17 00:37:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

Le Lundi 16 Juin 2003 14:51, vous avez écrit :
> We have planned several times to move to a new DocBook version, but always
> postponed it. I'd like to get it done this time.
>
> We are now beginning to run into trouble with the established toolchain
> (particularly for print output), and there isn't much new development
> happening, so I'd like to start trying out XML-based toolchains. To do
> that, we need to move to a DocBook version that is available as both SGML
> (processed by OpenJade) and XML, which is the case for 4.x. We can
> convert SGML to XML automatically, so there are no syntax implications.
>
> Comments?
I think it would be great news. XML Docbook is much easier to "read" and
understand. For example, it is of great value to a translator. I've
translated many howtos from the LDP and some guides. SGML Docbook is a good
wey to format a document, but XML is a much better one. And it allows anyone
to apply really simple xslt stylesheets with xsltproc (or saboltron or
something else). Doing it with DSSSL stylesheets is really hard.

I'm in the process to create a french translation team and would be really
interested if all documents could be move to an XML docbook format. And I
could help you, if you need, to speed up the move.

By the way, if any french people here are interested in translating postgresql
documents (manuals, faqs and techdocs) in french, please get in touch with
me.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/ -->.