Re: Why can't you define a table alias on an update?

From: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: jim(at)nasby(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why can't you define a table alias on an update?
Date: 2003-06-16 14:06:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm not necessarily opposed to doing it, I just wanted to raise a flag
> and see if anyone reading this thread would complain.

Oracle permits table aliases on an update statement, though in Oracle
the word 'as' to denote a table alias is not permitted while 'as' is
optional for column aliases, whereas in pgsql it is REQUIRED in both cases.

Tom, is there an online reference to the full SQL standard for those of us
who don't have copies of it on our bookshelf or engrained in memory? :-)
--
Mike Nolan