Re-ordering .CONF params ... questions for this list

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re-ordering .CONF params ... questions for this list
Date: 2003-06-10 18:01:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Folks,

We've been discussing this for a while on HACKERS. However, I haven't been
getting much feedback on the specific order proposed.

Attached is an outline of my proposed re-ordering of postgresql.conf.sample.
Please send me comments. I need to submit a patch by Thursday, so don't take
too long.

This is an effort to make the order of run-time params in
postgresql.conf.sample and in the docs more logical and less baffling to the
new DBA.

Questions:
1) Should "enable_implicit_from" go in the "Version/Platform Compatibility"
section where I have it now, or in "CLIENT CONNECTIONS-Statement Behavior",
or somewhere else?

2) Where should "preload_libraries" go? I'm very reluctant to start a
"Misc." section. Perhaps I should start a "LIBRARIES" section?

3) I have re-ordered each subsection somewhat. The fixed ordering is based
on:
a) My guess at the frequency with which that option will be changed,
with more common options toward the top of the subsection;
b) Grouping for tightly related options and for options that cascade;
c) where (a) and (b) are unclear, alpha order.
Does this order make sense looking at the file?

3) Should we use indenting in PostgreSQL.conf.sample? I tend to think it
would make the file easier to read, but I'm not sure what effect it would
have, if any, on parsing the file and whether other people would find it easy
to read.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions