Re: speed w/ OFFSET/LIMIT

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Damien <dm_mailings(at)abelia-decors(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: speed w/ OFFSET/LIMIT
Date: 2003-06-02 19:07:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Try using subselects instead. PGSQL has to do all the joins unless you
do a LEFT JOIN so that it knows what rows should be included. It would
be nice if the optimizer could recognize if you're jointing to a table
that has RI, since it could safely transform to a subselect then, but
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do this.

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 03:39:49PM +0200, Damien wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm running a pretty simple select query on a pretty large table (70000
> records). This table has some "flag" fields, each one textually explained by
> another table ( flag VARCHAR(2), flag_details VARCHAR(60))
>
> SELECT t.* , t1.flag1_details , ... , tn.flagn_details
> FROM table t
> NATURAL JOIN t1
> NATURAL JOIN ...
> NATURAL JOIN tn
> ORDER BY main_field OFFSET x LIMIT 50
>
> There is no where statement, this query is for display purposes on a web page.
> My problem is, where OFFSET is low, execution takes only a few milli-seconds,
> but where OFFSET is high (50 last results for example), execution can take 10
> seconds...
> Is there anything I can do to speed up such a query ?

Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!) jim(at)nasby(dot)net