Re: db growing out of proportion

From: Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>
To: Todd Nemanich <todd(at)twopunks(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db growing out of proportion
Date: 2003-05-30 23:08:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

> [todd(at)twopunks(dot)org]
>
> Additionally, you may want to take a look at your query performance. Are
> most of your queries doing sequential scans? In my system, the crucial
> columns of the primary tables are int8 and float8 fields. I have those
> indexed, and I get a serious performance boost by making sure all
> SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE queries that use those columns in the WHERE have an
> explicit ::int8 or ::float8 (Explain analyze is your friend). During
> peak usage, there is an order of magnitude difference (usually 10 to
> 15x) between queries doing sequential scans on the table, and queries
> doing index scans. Might be worth investigating if your queries are
> taking 5 seconds when your DB is fresh. HTH.

Yes, I have taken special care to fine-tune all queries on authentic
data. The db setup works as expected in whatever respect with the
exception of query times deterioration that apparently corelates to
the db's on-disk size growth.

Thanks for your suggestions,

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>