SQL Help

From: C F <tacnaboyz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Help
Date: 2003-05-30 15:47:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,
I already tried this same basic question with no response.... maybe I was too wordy. So here it is simplified.... what's the best way to write this query? I'm open to using stored procedures, but even then I don't know how I would conditionally populate a resultset (refcursor). Notice that in the first three cases, the expression is the exact same, only the return value is different. This seems inefficient....

select
(case when column1 = column2 then column3 end) as alias1,
(case when column1 = column2 then column4 end) as alias2,
(case when column1 = column2 then column5 end) as alias3,
(case when column6 = column7 then column8 end) as alias4
from
mytable
;

Any ideas?