Re: Cool PL/PgSQL hack :)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cool PL/PgSQL hack :)
Date: 2003-05-30 03:52:14
Lists: sfpug

David, David:

> BTW, I'm doing a few similar things like a string_split that returns
> an array, and eventually--don't know quite how hard this is--similar
> operations with one-column SELECTs instead of arrays. Am I
> reinventing the wheel here?

Yah. Joe Conway is adding a whole battery of array-processing functions to
7.4; if you're patient, you can have them for free.

> > That said, I'm slowly moving things over to compiled .so's which is
> > significantly faster, but this had me wondering: has anyone done any
> > comparative benchmarks of the various pl languages for PostgreSQL?

Not PL/ vs. PL/, but PL/pgSQL vs. compiled .so in a trigger procedure yielded
about a 60% reduction in execution time.

If I'm working on something extremely performance sensitive, I usually hire
someone to re-write my PL/pgSQL in C. Otherwise, I go for what each language
is good at:

PL/pgSQL for record manipulation;
PL/Perl for text manipulation;
PL/R for aggregates